The First Coal Fired Power Plant
By 1911, the town was growing and was in need of electrical power. A plant was constructed on this site, and the abundance of coal in the area supplied the fuel. A reservoir, created by the Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR) dam on the Stoney Creek (now called Mirror Lake), supplied the water needed for the operation of the power plant. At first, electricity was only available during daylight hours; however, improvements allowed for an expansion of the plant in 1926 which resulted in 24 hour power. The power plant operated until 1930, when Calgary Power purchased the utility and elected to import power, rather than generate it locally.