The First Natural Gas Well Is Drilled
In 1913, a group of visionary citizens volunteered to cover the cost of sinking a test well on this site in order to seek natural gas. The idea of such a convenient fuel source seemed like a dream after a lifetime of burning wool and coal. On December 19, 1913, gas was found 1235 feet below the surface. While the fuel found may have been sufficient to commercially supply the town, the project wasn’t completed and the optimism of those early Camrosians was not fulfilled. However, in 1946, natural gas service officially arrived in Camrose, supplied by Northwestern Utilities Ltd.