Bailey honoured by City, Mayor

By Murray Green

Camrose Arts Council chair Steven Hansen, left, Bob Bailey, City of Camrose Mayor PJ Stasko and Bailey Theatre past president Barb Stroh honoured Bailey for his MusicCounts JUNO award nomination. Stasko presented the Certificate of Acknowledgement on April 7.

The City of Camrose and Bailey Theatre Society honoured band teacher Bob Bailey for his lengthy dedication to music in the community and his recent JUNO nomination.

He was one of five outstanding nominations from across Canada through MusicCounts.

He was recognized at the theatre prior to the Way Back Whens concert on April 7. Mayor PJ Stasko presented a certificate of recognition for service to the community.

Key attributes and evaluation criteria the MusiCounts committee of leading music educators across Canada were:

Passion: The Teacher of the Year should demonstrate an extraordinary commitment to teaching, and should have a demonstrated history of providing meaningful musical experiences for students.

Advocacy: The Teacher of the Year should be a strong advocate for preserving quality music education in Canadian schools through fundraising, voicing their passion for music education on different committees and boards, etc.

Inclusivity: The Teacher of the Year should ensure students of varying backgrounds and skill levels have the opportunity to learn, experience and appreciate music.

Adaptability: The Teacher of the Year should have a proven track record of adapting and diversifying their teaching practices to keep up with changing student needs.

Recognition: The Teacher of the Year should have the support, respect, and admiration of students, parents, administrators and colleagues. They should be regarded as a leader in their community and a mentor in their field.

Inspirational: The Teacher of the Year should make tangible and positive differences in the lives of students, with the ability to motivate, challenge, and encourage them to be more confident creators and appreciators of music.

Bailey has received awards in the past: David Peterkin Memorial Award recipient in recognition of an outstanding contribution to band and band music in 2023 from Phi Beta Mu (International Bandmasters Fraternity, Alberta Chapter (Mu Alpha); Certificate of Merit recipient for his volunteer work as trumpeter for Royal Canadian Legion functions since 1988 from the Royal Canadian Legion; named the Alberta Band Director of the Year (Elkhorn Award) in 2015 by the Alberta Band Association in 2015; Inaugural Fine Arts Achievement Award co-recipient from the University of Alberta, Augustana Faculty; invited to be guest conductor of the Southern Alberta Junior High Honour Band in 2007; Excellence in Teaching Award recipient from the Battle River School Division.

His bands have received numerous Superior awards at the provincial festival over the years, including the Outstanding Level 1 Band and the Adjudicator’s Choir Award, as well as the Orlan Strom Award for best band.

He has been invited as guest clinician and guest conductor throughout the province for clinics and as a presenter at the Alberta Music Conference and band camps in the summer. He adjudicates festivals through the province as well. This year, he’s adjudicating at Vegreville, Grande Prairie and Stettler. In the past, he’s adjudicated at Airdrie, Olds, Medicine Hat, Sherwood Park, Red Deer, Olds and many others.